Visit this link to download Dec 2013 Coaching Unit I Questions-https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lisquizonline/WvzMoJ4NR1k
- The term "data" plural form of datum
- The word ‘data’ is Latin in origin, and literally, it means anything that is given.
- Data is undifferentiated observation of facts in terms of words, numbers, symbols, etc
- Information is processed data
- Knowledge is consolidated and structured information as in encyclopaedic articles, state-of-the-art reports, textbooks, etc.
- Explosion of information : Growth of information beyond amanageable limit.
- Information Society : A society in which all activities are centred on
- Information is piecemeal, fragmented, particular;is timely, transitory, perhaps even ephemeral, is flow of messages
- Data, e.g., trade and industrial statistics, price index, entertainment announcements, etc.
- Information, e.g., processed information of weather to warn farmers during times of monsoons, stock exchange information for investments, reports of music concerts, news about national and international events,etc.
- Knowledge, e.g., press responsibilities vis-à-vis democratic institutions in the form of a report, international information order as exemplified by the third world countries meetings, the books such as ‘Many Voices One World’ published by UNESCO, etc.
- Brookes fundamental equation of information science is K [S] +D I = K [S+ D S]
Source: IGNOU MATERIAL